Cray Valley RS has successfully been running amateur radio examination courses since 2006. During that time, we have archived a high level of first time passes for the candidates that have participated in the Cray Valley RS amateur radio training programme.
Within the UK, there are three types of amateur radio licence that can be obtained, namely the foundation licence, intermediate licence and the full licence. Each of these ham radio licences offers different privileges in a form of incentive licensing through which all new UK radio hams may progress to the full licence.
We believe that the high success rate achieved by candidates taking the Cray Valley RS course is down to the approach taken to the course format -
- The courses are run over weekends with the following structure:
- Foundation Licence courses lasts two days with the exam at the end of the last day
- Intermediate Licence course comprises two evening maths primer sessions followed by three weekend training days with the exam at the end of the last day
- Full Licence course comprises two evening maths primer sessions, a one-day Intermediate licence revision followed by a further three weekend training days with the exam at the following weekend.
- For each candidate we assign an experienced radio amateur to act as a one to one mentor to assist with the education and to be a prime contact for any query that they may have.
- Cray Valley RS has eight registered instructors led by Chris Whitmarsh G0FDZ. He is assisted by several experienced club members
- Our support for training candidates does not stop when the exam ends, we continue to support the candidates so they can get the maximum out of the hobby. As part of this ongoing support we offer training candidates 50% off first year club membership following the first successful course.
Should you wish to know more about the Cray Valley RS amateur radio training programme use the contact form and one of our members will contact you to explain the programme further.
The application form for all three courses can be found on this site at click here.
- Foundation licence course - £43.00
- Intermediate licence course - £70.00, Cray Valley RS member: £60.00
- Full licence course - £90.00, Cray Valley RS member: £80.00
Fees include RSGB exam registration & course refreshments - please bring a packed lunch.
Participants have to have been a Cray Valley RS member for minimum of 6 months to receive the discount to the full and intermediate courses.
Cray Valley RS is one of the founder members of the South East Tutors (SET) group of clubs set up to promote and provide fully taught amateur radio licence training courses in South East London and adjacent areas.
By helping coordinate and publicise courses at all levels, formats and timings run by individual member clubs we hope candidates will find it easier to find a suitable course or courses that meet their requirements.
The SET clubs are:
- Bromley & District Amateur Radio Society
- Cray Valley RS
- Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club
- Darenth Valley Radio Society
- North Kent Radio Society
- West Kent Amateur Radio Society.
The current timetable of SET courses is shown below.
The next Cray Valley Intermediate licence course is scheduled to run in the Autumn 2021 subject to the Covid situation being resolved
- Two Monday evening sessions on Zoom 20:00 - 21:30 hrs maths primers -
- Monday 18th October 2021
- Monday 25th October 2021
- Three consecutive Saturdays 08:30 - 18:00 hrs (also includes exam) -
- Saturday 6th November 2021
- Saturday 13th November 2021
- Saturday 20th November 2021
Registration is open now - Any changes or cancellation due to the Covid situation changing will result in all fees paid being refunded