With over 150 members we are one of the largest local radio clubs in the UK. Although most of our members are located quite close to our base in Eltham, we have members world-wide.
Our members are a very diverse group of different ages and backgrounds. Their interests cover a wide variety of aspects of the radio hobby.
We welcome new members of all skills, abilities, background, and age. It does not matter whether you are already a licensed radio amateur or not.
Members having a chat at a club meeting
As member of the Cray Valley RS you have plenty of benefits:
- We can help with getting on the air.
- Setting up your own station that fits your budget and needs.
- Advice on finding the right antennas for your flat, house or garden.
- Get help with your construction projects, whether it's radio or general electronics.
- Two club meetings per month with interesting topics (currently held via Zoom as we can't meet in person per government guidelines).
- Access to our state-of-the-art club station G3RCV.
- Receive our monthly newsletter called QUA.
- Membership in the club's email reflector and WhatsApp group.
- Learn from our experienced members how to become more a more successful DXer or contester.
- Exchange ideas and learn from a 150-strong membership who are experts in various aspects of the hobby.
- Participate in our regular radio activities like special event stations, expeditions and contests.
- Make new friends at our social events like the summer BBQ and Christmas parties.
- Receive a discount on our training courses.
- Get club merchandise.
Become a Member
If your are interested in becoming a Cray Valley RS member, please do not hesitate to get in touch via the contact form or fill in the membership application. Also feel free to visit one of the club meetings or Zoom meetings as a guest before you make a decision.
Dave, G4BUO operating from the club's own radio station
As the Coronavirus pandemic limits our club activities during 2021, we have reduced the annual membership fees to 25% of the usual levels.
Justin, G4TSH operating from the island of St. Kilda
The club offers a range of club branded merchandise.
Just get in touch using the contact form for cost of shipping and other queries. We may not be able to accommodate orders from outside the UK, but don't hesitate to ask and we will investigate.
We offer a range of clothing items in "Cray Valley blue". You will have spotted members wearing these items during club events. The items currently available are:
|Polo Shirt||£14.00||XS to XXXXXL (5XL)|
|Fleece||£18.00||XS to XXXXXL (5XL)|
|Cap||£14.00||One size fits all|
We still offer 2O12L branded polo shirts from our activity in 2012.
"The Cray Valley RS Years", by Bob Treacher M0MCV
For our 70th anniversary in 2016, Cray Valley's President Bob Treacher, M0MCV has written a history of the club which is available for purchase.
This illustrated book captures the highs and lows of one of the United Kingdom’s most well-known, and successful, amateur radio societies.
The book features archive material from its modest beginning in 1946 to the highs of the wonderfully successful special event station for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Learn why the Society took the unusual step of becoming a company limited by guarantee in the 1970s; share in the success and disappointment of field days and national and international contests; and obtain first hand appreciation of the Society’s expertise in organising special event stations, not only on a local scale, but in the national and international arena with the prestigious and highly successful celebrations of the Millennium, HM Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee, the bi-centenary of the Battle of Trafalgar, and the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The book is written by Bob Treacher M0MCV, who has been a member of the Society since 1968 and its President since 1993. He was also team leader for the prestigious M2000A, GB50, GB200T and 2O12L special event stations.
"The Cray Valley Years", by Bob Treacher M0MCV